About the Pillar House

The Pillar House offers a comfortable atmosphere with first class food and drink served by friendly staff. We pride ourselves on providing delicious home-made wholesome cooking with a range to suit every taste & pocket!

Food

Food is Served 7 Days a Week from 9am to 9pm

We have a menu which will suit all tastes and pockets. Our Lunch & Dinner Menu offers daily specials.

We welcome children of all ages and have a specific children’s menu.

Music

There is live entertainment every weekend and our facebook page is updated each week with our upcoming performers.

We have a very special Traditional Music Session on a Sunday Evening at 6pm. The session is led by Roscommon men John Wynne on Flute and Frank Kelly on Piano Accordion and are also regularly joined by Patsy Hanley on Flute.

Party Venue

Our Back Bar is available for Parties including Birthdays, Anniversary Parties, First Holy Communion Parties and Christenings.

If you are having your party at home why not contact us and we would be delighted to tailor-make a menu to suit any occasion.

Accommodation

As well as a full Bar & Restaurant there are also 15 En-suite Rooms, including family rooms are available at very competitive rates.

The History of the Pillar House

The Pillar House was originally built in the early 19th Century and operated as The National Bank of Ireland until the end of the 1880’s. Indeed the “National Bank of Ireland” is deeply engraved and clear to see on the limestone lintel on the front of the building. When the National Bank of Ireland moved to what is now Bank Chambers on Society Street, the Pillar House was bought by Mr. Timothy Dolan who continued to operate a family run Grocery and Public House. In September 1956 the buiness was sold to Godfrey & Evelyn Gibbons. To this day it has operated as a family business. After Godfrey & Evelyn’s retirement in 1992 the business was taken over by their sons Raymond & Godfrey and has developed into a renowned town centre Bar & Restaurant now run by Raymond and his wife Claire.

National Bank Ballinasloe

The Pillar House was originally built in the early 19th Century and operated as The National Bank of Ireland until the end of the 1880’s

 

Situated on Society Street, The Pillar House is located close to the Fair Green where the famous Ballinasloe Horse Fair takes place during the first week of October. It is one of the oldest fairs in Europe and was renowned historically as the largest fair of its kind in Europe

The town of Ballinasloe

Ballinasloe has always served as a meeting point, situated as it is on the River Suck and was commonly a hosting area, for clansmen from local tribes. Indeed its name derives from Béal Átha na Sluaıghe, the Irish for “Ford-mouth of the Hostings”. Evidence on the date of the fair’s origin is scant but the town’s traditional role as a meeting place justifies local traditional belief that this is an ancient event. By the late 18th century, the fair was being reported in “The Times” as involving the sale of “65,758 sheep, and 6,565 bullocks” while in the early 19th century the paper reported it as “the largest of its kind in Europe” (1804) and “the greatest in the British empire” (1816).

A local land-owing family, the le Poer Trenches, who received the Earldom of Clancarthy shaped much of the 18th and 19th century history of the town. They exercised control over the fair owing to their ownership of the land around the town, coming known as the “Baron of the Fair”. They sponsored the housing of the Farming Society of Ireland in Ballinasloe and in 1840 the Ballinasloe District Agricultural Society was formed. An Agricultural Hall was opened on Farming Society Street now renamed Society Street.